|Suggested Guild Bylaws|
BY-LAWS OF THE "_______________________________________” CLUB/GUILD
ARTICLE I – NAME AND PURPOSE
1. This organization shall be known as the "________________________________” Club/Guild and, upon approval of TKGA, shall be recognized as affiliated with THE KNITTING GUILD ASSOCIATION (TKGA).
2. The purpose of this local Club/Guild shall be essentially the same as that of TKGA, which shall be to provide education and communication to advance the quality of workmanship and creativity in their knitting endeavors.
ARTICLE II – MEMBERSHIP
1. Any person who is interested in the purpose of this organization may become a member by application and payment of dues, regardless of race, creed, color, or sex.
2. A Club/Guild may not form a cooperative in order to obtain a business license or tax number for the purpose of buying knitting supplies at a wholesale price.
3. All members of the local Guild are encouraged to maintain current membership in TKGA. The local Guild officers should support and promote TKGA and its educational programs and other services to its Guild members.
ARTICLE III – OFFICERS
1. All officers of the local Guild shall maintain a current membership in TKGA.
2. The local management of the affairs of this organization shall be vested in a Board of Directors composed of four (4) executive officers provided for herein, and such executive Board shall set local policy in support of the mission of TKGA.
3. The Board shall meet at such time and places as the President of the local Guild shall direct, or at the call of any two (2) other members of the Board.
4. A majority of the local Board shall constitute a quorum for transaction of business at any meeting.
5. Vacancies on the local Board shall be filled by appointment of the President with approval of the remaining directors of the Board.
ARTICLE IV – OFFICERS AND DUTIES
1. The officers of the local Guild shall consist of a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer. Terms of the office for each officer shall be for one (1) year.
2. The President shall preside at all meetings of the membership, all meetings of the Board of Directors, and shall be an ex officio member of any committee established by the local Guild. The President, with the advice and consent of the Board of Directors, shall appoint all standing committees to be established by the local Guild.
3. The Vice President shall assist the President and serve in the absence of the President. The Vice President shall serve as the chairman of the local Guild’s program committee, should such committee be established.
4. The Secretary shall keep minutes of all proceedings of meetings of the membership and the Board of Directors. The Secretary shall take care of the correspondence at the direction of the President. The Secretary shall keep accurate and continually updated lists of members in good standing, together with their current addresses.
5. The Treasurer shall receive and disburse all monies and present a statement of the current financial condition at all meetings of the Board of the local Guild. The Treasurer shall insure that any TKGA membership forms and dues collected from the Guild membership shall be forwarded in the appropriate amount to the office of TKGA.
ARTICLE V – COMMITTEES
1. The local Guild’s organization shall have standing committees for education, programs, and finances. The chairman of each committee shall be appointed by the President, upon the advice and consent of the Board of Directors.
2. The duties of the committee shall be as defined by the Board of Directors of the local Guild
ARTICLE VI – DUES
The local Guild shall be charged with the responsibility of establishing annual dues for its members.
ARTICLE VII – MEETINGS
1. Annual Meeting. There shall be at least one (1) annual meeting of the Board of Directors during the calendar year. Notice of such meeting, signed by the Secretary, shall be mailed to the last recorded address of each member of the Board of Directors.
2. Special Meetings. Special meetings of the Board of Directors of the local Guild may be called from time to time by any two (2) members of the Board of Directors. Notice of any special meeting shall be mailed to each member of the Board of Directors at that member’s last recorded address at least ten (10) days in advance of such special meeting.
3. Membership Meetings. The Board of Directors shall have the authority to set a membership meeting schedule on a monthly or more frequent basis at the discretion of the Board.
4. Quorum. Thirty percent (30%) of the local members of the Guild currently in good standing shall constitute a quorum for a regular meeting of the members.
ARTICLE VII – ELECTIONS
1. The local Guild shall organize a nominating committee for the purpose of nominating officers of the local Guild for the next annual term and such nominating committee shall be prepared to present its proposed slate of officers no later than the monthly meeting of the members of the local Guild one month before the annual meeting.
2. An annual election of officers shall occur no later than the annual meeting of the Board of Directors in conjunction with the monthly meeting of the members of the local Guild.
3. The newly elected officers of the local Guild shall take office during the first membership after the annual meeting.
These by-laws may be amended, repealed or altered in-part by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of those members present at a scheduled meeting that has a quorum.
Basic parliamentary procedure shall govern all procedure and parliamentary matters of the local Guild.